When canning fruit I always do a syrup of 8 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar. It is very light but I like the natural sugars in the fruit to really shine through. You can add a bit more sugar if you like.
Always put warm jars in boiling canner or the jars have a better chance of breaking. I put them in the oven at 250 until I have enough jars to put in the canner.
- Mix syrup (sugar & water) until the sugar has fully dissolved. You don’t have to boil the syrup, just keep it warm.
- Add 1.5” of syrup into the jars, cut peeled peaches into jars until almost full. ( I peel and & cut peaches above jars to get any access of sweet juice)
- If the peaches aren’t peeling nicely, then put them in boiling water for about 30 seconds and then run them under cold water. The peel should come off nice and easy now.
- Top off jars with syrup leaving about an inch of head space. I carefully move the peaches around inside the jar to ensure they are packed in and fully incorporated in syrup. Wipe rim of the jar with a clean rag.
- Put on boiled lid and ring.
- You can keep the jars warm in the oven until you have enough prepared to put in the canner.
- PROCESS for 15mins. You start the timer after it has come back to a full boil.
- Do the same process as the peaches. Don’t wait until they are too ripe, a little green still is perfect.
- PROCESS for 10mins. You start the timer after it has come back to a full boil.
- Brine – 13 cups water, 1 cup pickling salt, 5 cups white vinegar. Heat & dissolve salt, but do not boil brine.
- Pack cold pickling cucumbers with dill weed & garlic (2-3/jar).
- Pour brine over cucumbers, wipe rim of jar with a clean rag, put lids on.
- Put warm jars in canner and PROCESS for 1 minute. (This recipe makes 10 quarts)
- Cook the beets until you can put a fork into them easily. (Approx. 45mins – either boiled or roasted)
- Peel, cut, and put beets into jars. Leave 1 inch head space. Recommended to use gloves.
- Brine – 2 cups sugar, 3 cups white vinegar, 1 cup sherry vinegar, 3 cups water.
- Put pickling spice in a tea steeper and drop in the brine while it boils. Boil until everything is dissolved and the spice has time to marinate. Leave the steeper in until you are done.
- Put the jars in the oven with the beets to warm them up before putting the brine in. Add the brine and seal with hot lids. The lids will seal as the jars cool.
- Remember hot jars, hot lids, hot brine.