Smoke Gouda Mashed Potatoes
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 Tbls Butter, unsalted & cubed
- 2 Tbls Heavy Cream
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- ¼ Cup Smoked Gouda, finely grated
Steak & Pan Sauce
- 2, 8oz filet mignon steaks, cut 2” thick
- ¾ Tbls Rock Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Black peppercorns
- 1 ½ tsp Pink peppercorns
- ½ tsp dried minced garlic
- ½ tsp dried minced onion
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- Small pinch of red chili pepper flakes
- Drizzle EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 3 Tbls butter, unsalted & cubed
- 1 Tbls shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed & peeled
- 1 sprig rosemary, fresh
- 1.2 cup red wine, like cabernet, cheap is perfect
- 1 cup beef stock
- 6 each U10 (Large) Scallops
- 1 Tbls EVOO
- 1 Tbls butter, unsalted
- Place steak on a plate, on the counter, to warm up for about 20 minutes before starting to cook. By taking the meat out of the fridge it gives it time to relax, it then cooks more consistently and the fats melt into the steak more evenly allowing it to be more tender. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Add potatoes to a large pot filled with cold water than bring to a boil and cook until tender. In a sauce pan combine cream, butter & garlic. Bring up to a simmer and slowly add the smoked gouda until melted. Drain the potatoes, mash and add cream/cheese mixture. Mix well. Season with salt.
- For the steak: Add rock salt, peppercorns, dried garlic, dried onion, fennel, chili flakes to a mortar & pestle then coarsely crush seasonings. Alternatively you could use a spice grinder or use your favorite store-bought steak rub instead. Drizzle tops of steaks with extra virgin olive oil then generously sprinkle on spice rub and rub into steaks. Repeat on other side.
- Heat a large, oven-safe cast iron or heavy bottom skillet over medium-high heat then add 1 Tbls of butter. Once melted add steaks and sear until steaks have formed a golden brown crust on the bottom., 2 minutes. Flip steaks then place entire skillet into oven and roast for 10 minutes for medium. Add rosemary & more butter and baste. Remove steaks to a plate and rest for a at least 7 minutes. This allows all those juices and flavours to absorb into the cooling meat rather than spilling out onto the plate when you cut into them.
- Place skillet back over medium-high heat then add shallots and saute for 30 seconds. Add rosemary, garlic, and wine then simmer until wine is reduced by half, and then add beef broth and simmer until sauce is thickened & reduced. 7-9 minutes. Add remaining tablespoon of butter, taste and add salt and pepper is necessary.
- For the scallops: while the pan sauce is reducing, melt butter and EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat scallops dry between layers of paper towel, season with salt & pepper, and then place seasoned side down in a hot skillet and sear for 90 seconds. Season tops with salt & pepper then flip and sear for another 90 seconds.
- Plate potatoes, steaks, scallops and drizzle with pan sauce.